Date: 4/6/21 11:54 am
From: Evelyn Nathan <evynathan...>
Subject: [NHBirds] pipits, etc., in Kingston
Alice and I walked an old farm field in Kingston Saturday morning and saw what we thought were a flock of woodcocks, maybe 10 of them, but now believe they may have been Wilson’s snipes, since they were seen not far from here recently. We think woodcocks don’t “flock” in that way. We watched three flickers arguing, many, many killdeer, and watched a harrier gliding over the wet fields. A red-headed duck (m&f) flew up from a pond, but we’re really uncertain about what it was. Red-headed is only a description, not naming the species. On Sunday I went back to try to re-find the snipes to get a photograph, but instead found a flock of about 5 or 6 American pipits! (my favorite old bird book calls them Water pipits) We’ve only seen pipits there once before, and that was in October of 2015.

Evy Nathan
Kingston