Date: 4/5/21 2:54 pm
From: Paul and Georgean Kyle <dwa...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Pine siskins and feeders
For what it is worth, Georgean and I found at least two dozen dead Pine
Siskins at Travis Audubon's Chaetura Canyon Sanctuary in northwest
Travis County before, during and after the Polar Vortex event.  We saw
many more that exhibited the symptoms of illness - fluffed up feathers,
lethargy, foraging on the ground unable to fly, roosting during the day
with their heads tucked, etc.  The findings / sightings tapered off
slowly after the event.   Now the few PISIs we see seem to be healthy
and feeding on insects in the Live Oaks.

I suppose we should have collected specimens and submitted them. But
with the power out we were self-absorbed and concentrating on keeping
the wood stoves burning.

Paul

--
Paul and Georgean Kyle