Date: 4/5/21 10:15 am
From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Pine siskins and feeders
So glad you said "in some parts of the country" A recent report from LSU
showed that numerous bird bodies, including perhaps from the Austin
region, tested for salmonella showed no traces of the disease in any of
the samples of siskins and goldfinches they analyzed and that the quick
deaths of these birds do not indicate such a reason. They did not however
know/say what to contribute the deaths too. Others elsewhere postulate
that there may be poisons or toxins in the various feeds. I don't know but
remain skeptical of the local salmonella proposal. My feeders remain up
with lots of finches and not a single sign of any fatalities since the big
freeze. For the Austin area, one should follow their conscience in terms
of leaving feeders up. I personally would like to see clinical proof of
this reported malady for the Central Texas region instead of Facebook posts
and hearsay before I completely buy into this. I have posted Paul's
letter previously to Texbird FB and elsewhere. Thanks, John.

--

Brush Freeman
<http://www.biospatialsevices.com>

Join us on Facebook!