Date: 4/4/21 6:46 pm
From: Rad Widmer <radwidmer...>
Subject: O'Fallon Park, Central West End Heron/Egret Nesting

The O'Fallon Park island egret/heron rookery is bustling with activity.
There were well over 100 Great Egrets building nests, as well as at least
10 Black-crowned Night Herons. I only viewed the island from the south and
west sides. I did not see any Snowy or Cattle Egrets, but I could have
missed them.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S84805664

I also did a quick run by the Central West End nesting area. I found a few
Great Egrets and Little Blues at the Manresa Center, but didn't see any
obvious nest-building activity. The birds were in the same trees that were
the main Great Egret nest trees the last couple of years. I did not check
on the Olive St side.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S84805463

Probably the easiest way to reach the O'Fallon Park site is to park on West
Florissant just south of the island (you can't miss it). It is just a short
walk from the road to the pond and island.

Good Birding!

Rad Widmer
St. Louis