Date: 4/4/21 5:42 pm
From: Jerry Williams <jwilliams1333...>
Subject: Barry County

Margie & I spent a day in southern Barry County each of the last two weekends. On Saturday, March 27th, the highlights were the nesting Bald Eagles with two kids, (4th or 5th year now?) Osprey flyover, Eastern Phoebe, Tree Swallow, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated Warbler, Black & White Warbler, and great views of the Pine Warbler, which was in the pines next to camp smokey in Roaring River State Park. We normally don’t see them in the park, usually in the adjoining Mark Twain National Forest.

Today, April 4, we noticed increased numbers of the four warbler species from last weekend, especially the Black & White. We added Northern Parula to the warbler list and saw first of year birds in Barn Swallow, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Purple Martin, Scissor-tail Flycatcher, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Towhee, Wood Duck, and Great Blue Heron. Margie also heard a distant Red-eyed Vireo.
Wild flowers so far include Rue Anemone and False Rue Anemone, Buttercups, Bellwort, Birds foot Violets, Wild Phlox, Trillium, Trout Lily, Wild Ginger. May Apples are up. Our Virginia Bluebells and Celandine Poppies are starting to bloom here at home.

The Munsey Cemetery road (FR1162), east and downstream of the park, goes downhill to Roaring River. Apparently, the landowner has had his gut full of trespassing fisherman, floaters, campers, and partiers. Maybe Covid had something to do with it. There is now a cabled fence all along the river. Stopping to see birds will become more of a challenge since there is not much of a pull off any longer. Birders beware.

Margie & Jerry Williams
Republic, Greene County, Missouri.