Date: 4/4/21 4:24 pm
From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts...>
Subject: [wisb] Sunday birding
I spent about 9 hours birding around several spots today. I started at the Auto Tour loop at Horicon Marsh. The first surprise of the early day was a Whooping Crane feeding on the south end of the board walk pond (viewed from the road); Next the red boulder pond is being drawn down resulting in good shorebird habitat. Present were 20 Greater and 4 Lesser Yellowlegs, 11 Pectoral Sandpipers and 2 Killdeer. Various puddle and diving ducks were seen on several of the auto tour ponds but no Eurasian Wigeon. Water is dropping in various Dodge and Columbia ponds. The Jersey pond had about 10 White-fronted Geese along with about 399 Pintails (the most of have seen at one spot in a long time). No swans, or Snow, Ross’s and Cackling Geese.
Goose Pond had some White-fronted Geese and various ducks. Harvey/Wagness pond had 12 Pectoral Sandpipers, about 500 White-fronted and about 10 Cackling Geese. Various ducks were present plus a fair number of Bonaparte’s Gulls, etc.

At Whalen Grade I joined two other birders looking for the Eurasian Wigeon. One of them, a young birder from Madison found out that it had been seen early this morning on the north end of the pond. We moved to view that area and immediately found the bird.

Real spring weather with temp getting to 74 degrees. Second straight day in the 70s. Enjoy and good birding.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI