Date: 4/4/21 4:16 pm
From: Scott Spangenberg <sjspangenberg...>
Subject: [NHBirds] FOY Broadwing, Palm Warbler, and Tree Swallow in Amherst
We were outside enjoying the sun when I heard and then saw our First Of Year Tree Swallow. Shortly afterward we heard our First Of Year Broad-winged Hawk, and we looked up to se an adult Broadwing circling right over the house, perhaps 120 feet up. One of the local Redshoulders engaged it, and the Redshoulder and its mate escorted the Broadwing SW and out of the neighborhood. Unless my eyes and ears deceived me, a third Red-shouldered Hawk join the escort posse.

Fifteen minutes or so later, I walked out back to the edge of marsh, where I found a Palm Warbler working its way along the bank, and then an adult Red-tailed Hawk towards me, over my head, and then toward the house. The Redshoulder pair objected just as strenuously to the Redtail’s presence in the neighborhood as they had objected to the Broadwing.

Scott Spangenberg
Amherst, NH