Date: 4/4/21 3:09 pm
From: Daniel Getman <000002b3a133f539-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Feisty Tree Swallows

Since we have no bluebirds so far this year, I’m expecting more tree swallows to claim nest boxes. Typically, we have 3-4 pairs.

So far, we have at least 4 pairs that are claiming boxes, but several boxes off by themselves are still available, and are occasionally being checked out.

Today, while working in the yard, I had a pair repeatedly dive bomb me, presumably because I was too close to their nest box. In my experience, they typically don’t dive bomb until they’ve begun nesting.

These feisty little birds are a joy to watch soar around the yard - should be a fun summer.

On this warm (78F), but windy (15 mph) Easter day, I took some time to get some photos, which can be found at:
flickr.com/photos/dgetman/sets

Perhaps appropriately, I just finished a new book by Bernd Heinrich “White Feathers: The Nesting Lives of Tree Swallows”. Tree swallows, after they build their nest, line them with white feathers. Bernd did some interesting experiments with providing white feathers. If you haven’t read any books by him, I’d recommend him - I’ve enjoyed most of his books.

Dan Getman, Kirksville, northeast MO