Date: 4/4/21 7:29 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma Complex - 4/3, 9:30 - 12;30
    Yesterday, Sue and I did a quick run around the Montezuma to catch up with a few year birds. Nothing spectacular, but still
a beautiful day and enough birds to be interesting. I think all our FOY birds have been previously reported by others.    Phoebes on the way fro Rt. 104 to Carncross Rd. Not new, but more and calling.
    At Carncross, ducks a bit light and some skim ice. Quite a few Trumpeter Swans and Sandhill Crane calling way off to the S.
In the grassy hummocks not far S off the road were scattered shorebirds. Approx. counts: 7 Dunlin, 3 Least Sandpipers, and 4 Pectoral Sandpipers.    Van Dyne Spoor Rd.:
        In wooded area, the usual resident forest birds plus my Barred Owl imitations resulted in 3 responses from Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, from flying in to their unique Morse code tapping, and finally a distant Barred Owl calling (didn't attempt to pull it closer).
        At the east end of the road with large open water area to the S, when I set up my scope, 6 Greater and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs in the grassy area close to the SE and way to the S, 9 Sandhill Cranes.
    Wildlife Drive was surprisingly quiet. Decent waterfowl variety. Big cluster of Canvasback. Nothing new.

    All in all, a fun late morning in early spring.

Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>