Date: 4/3/21 5:10 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] A16 on a bike 04-03-21
My mountain bike is now equipped with saddlebags and a kickstand so took it out for a spin around Pond A16. The 4 mile loop took a fraction of the time and got me close to the CASPIAN TERN islands in no time. I counted about 25 CATEs on the island, and a few more in flight from the platform. Waterfowl numbers were down from a month ago, but still some GREATER and LESSER SCAUP, and AMERICAN WIGEON. The AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS I saw all had conspicuous breeding horn on their bills, and one DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT was sporting the uncommon white-tufts—mostly I see black tufts around here, but maybe that’s just me. The AMERICAN AVOCETS are full breeding regalia with only 1 in 100 or so still showing gray on their head and neck. Many Gulls, mostly CALIFORNIA GULLS were gathered on the mudflats near the pumphouse, with a dozen or so LONG-BILLED CURLEW.
BIRDATHON REMINDER:
I’ll be drawing birds on Wednesday morning as part of the distributed sketch-team “Birdcassos”. If you’d like to join or sponsor us, please don’t be shy. There are NO bad drawings, and we will celebrate all of them when we’re done.  https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#birdcassos

Matthew DodderExecutive DirectorSanta Clara Valley Audubon Society22221 McClellan Rd.Cupertino, CA <95014408-252-3748director...>

View/Reply Online (#24082): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24082
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>