Date: 4/3/21 10:29 am
From: <mvjo......> <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Article: Mass Bird Die-Off Linked to Wildfires and Toxic Gases
I think there were two phenomena going on. Birds that died BEFORE the
summer snowstorm, and those apparently influenced by the drastic cold and
snow that seemed to pretty much wipe out San Luis Valley migrant birds.
From 80 degrees to 20's overnight and 14 inches of snow in the San Luis
Valley. At the height of migration, birds were likel;y weakened from
migration or other factors. The scads of birds dying here were directly
from cold wet conditions, and starvation and death. I am agreeing with
SeEtta that at least in our part of Colorado, the storm's impact was
direct....heavy snows, wet birds with little to eat, and subsequent
mortality. In the San Luis Valley you might surmise that smoke was a
contributory indirect effect that resulted in weakened birds. But at least
in this region, the abrupt and serious weather conditions were the reason
so many bird died.

I [image: wilsons warbler lo.JPG]
On Friday, April 2, 2021 at 10:08:59 AM UTC-6 <colorad......> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Just got this from one of our Forest Service scientists.
>
> -
> https://eos.org/research-spotlights/mass-bird-die-off-linked-to-wildfires-and-toxic-gases
>
> Thanks, Gary Lefko, Nunn
> http://www.friendsofthepawneegrassland.org
>
> https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/birds-and-more-of-the-pawnee-national-grassland

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<ef9c7d3d-d8fd-4ee9-bcfc-a04d730e3c79n...>

Join us on Facebook!