Date: 4/3/21 7:45 am
From: Jamie Chavez via groups.io <almiyi...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Banding Allen's Hummingbirds - Request for Feeder Access
All,

I received the following message requesting access to hummingbird feeders for the purpose of trapping and banding Allen's Hummingbirds to study the genetics of migratory vs sedentary behavior. If this interesting project is something you can help with because your feeders are a busy place please contact Mr. Najar directly (don't reply to the group).

Thanks,

Jamie M. Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

-------------------------

Hello!

I'm a postdoc at UC Riverside studying the two subspecies of Allen's hummingbird, migratory Selasphorus sasin sasin and sedentary Selasphorus sasin sedentarius. I'm focusing my efforts on Santa Barbara county since the two subspecies meet there. This study will characterize the hybrid zone between the two subspecies, with special focus on the genetics of migratory behavior.

I'm reaching out to the birders of Santa Barbara county to try and band as many Allen's hummingbirds this spring as I can throughout the county. Have you had Allen's regularly visiting your feeders in the last week or two? If you're willing to let me come to your home to trap, band, and measure Allen's, please contact me at <nnaja003...> It's very helpful if you also include an estimate of how many birds per hour visit and how long they've been there. I'll be banding birds from April 1-May 15, so if your feeders are slow now, but pick up later, I'd love to hear about it!

- Nadje
<nnaja003...>
559-960-8721

###