Date: 4/2/21 6:44 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Sandhill Cranes, Teals and Lesser Yellowlegs - and one comment
Hi friends!

Today was the opening day of the Montezuma Wildlife Refuge "Loop", so our
day was spent birding in and around that area.

On the back side of the Refuge (Morgan Road), we spotted 9 Sandhill Cranes
in the cornfield on the right.

On Corncross Road, we spotted Lesser Yellowlegs in the shallow ponds right
when you enter that road.

In the first pond at the entrance of Montezuma by the visitor's center,
Blue Winged and Green Winged Teals.

One comment: When you drive on 5 & 20 East to get to the Refuge, one
usually can stop on the side of the road right before entering, and see
many old and new Osprey nests. Some of which have been these for 20+
years. Recently, National Grid came by, and removed EVERY single nest.
They replaced most of these sites with discs, in the hopes that the birds
will come back and make new nests on them, but what a shame. That made us
sad. We called the Refuge's Visitor Center to find out what had happened.