Date: 4/2/21 11:21 am
From: 'DuWayne Worthington' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...>
Subject: [cobirds] Chickadees and nuthatches; Littleton
One of the chickadees looked like it was trying to excavate a cavity on the
back of a broken branch in a large tree by the house. It was working on it
for about 5 minutes. I could see pieces of tree falling to the ground.
The mate was nearby hunting food. Then two nuthatches came flying into the
same tree and immediately went over to the cavity. The chickadee flew to a
neighboring branch and watched the nuthatch while it was investigating the
area the chickadee was working on. After a few seconds, the nuthatch flew
to another part of the tree and worked the trunk and branches for the next
5-10 minutes. The chickadee that was working on excavating a cavity then
turned and flew away across the street. I'm wondering if it gave up on
that location for a nest or if it will be back.

*DuWayne Worthington*

*Science Teaching Faculty*

*Valor Christian High School*

*Influence through Excellence*

*3775 Grace Blvd.*

*Highlands Ranch, CO 80126*

*303-471-3000 x 3278*
*www.govalor.com <http://www.govalor.com/>*

* All posts should be signed with the poster's full name and city. Include bird species and location in the subject line when appropriate
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cobirds/<CAO3J-Htymp1N1SiH9_hkZ7LFUTA0zJK6Q-is4c2QyeEAp_WCSg...>

Join us on Facebook!