Date: 4/2/21 8:57 am
From: Ellen Weatherbee <eew...>
Subject: [birders] Southern flying squirrels definitely live all over Michigan
Southern flying squirrels have taken over much of the state, crowding out the northern flying squirrels, except in remote places like islands. We have southern flying squirrels at our cabin on Patterson Lake (southern Livingston County) and northern flying squirrels at our shack on Drummond Island (eastern Chippewa County). Ellen.Jack.Nellie (woof woof) 🍄🦌🐾🐾

On Apr 2, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Fred Kaluza <fkaluza...> wrote:

Thanks for searching Kent. Yes, I guess wrapping the tree a few feet below the trunk with some aluminum flashing AND finagling a baffle or skirt above the box should work so long as it forces the usurpers far-enough outward that they could not drop down onto any part of the box. I know that any weakness in the design will be exploited. Any upturned or folded edge or crease, any vertical crack or any nearby twig can be caught by a claw or used as a place to gain momentum and swing onto a box and will be leveraged by squirrels. I also want to be cautious about damaging the trunk by retaining perpetual shade and moisture against it. It’s not an easy task. Probably no way to stop flying squirrels but (sadly) I don’t think they live around here.

From Fred’s IPhone
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<393ba1a0-a999-8473-bf04-fc2d40d7ebfc...>
Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org