Date: 4/2/21 8:35 am
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Orange-crowned Warblers ... and shorebird movement
To second Nancy's remarks, I've also been hearing Orange-crowned Warblers around the neighborhood in recent days. I mentioned hearing one at our place last Saturday (March 27th) but that was toward the end of an OBOL posting about pipits (so perhaps easy to miss).

With the beautiful weather of recent days, I'd expect they should soon be easy to find in numbers, as Nancy observed at Finley NWR. Big-leaf maples are just beginning to unfurl their first leaves and blossoms now in the mid-Willamette Valley, so that could be a good place to look for them.

While I'm at it, might as well mention that shorebirds are moving too. A wet swale in Herbert Farm and Open Space (on the south edge of Corvallis) has had up to a dozen GREATER YELLOWLEGS in recent days. On 30 Mar I also saw a dozen or so peeps (small sandpiper sp.) with them, but they were way at the back and I didn't have my scope along, so I couldn't attempt to identify them.

Joel

Nancy Stotz wrote on Thu, 1 Apr 2021:

Since Lars made his comment...
Yesterday at Luckiamute North in Polk County, I had my first OCWA of the
spring foraging in a red currant.
Today at Finley NWR in Benton, I had at least a dozen, most singing high in
oaks scattered along Mill Hill and Beaver/Cattail Marsh trails. April 1, so
seasonal trails are now open at Finley!

--

Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis