Date: 4/2/21 8:24 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Montezuma birding tour 4/3, and highlights from Wildlife drive 4/1
Good morning!

Yesterday the Wildlife Drive and the Visitor Center at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge opened for the season! Check out their Facebook page for updates and current conditions: https://www.facebook.com/MontezumaNWR/posts/259653725877935

A rough list of what was seen on the tour (and all of this was seen between the Visitor Center and the end of the drive):

Sandhill Cranes
Northern Shoveler
Osprey
American Crow
Great Blue Herons
Northern Pintail
Bald Eagle
Red-winged Blackbirds
Wilson's Snipe
Blue and Green-winged Teal
Northern Harrier
Common Grackle
Killdeer
Canada and Snow Geese
Turkey Vulture

Ring-billed Gulls
Mallards
Falcon sp (either Kestrel or Merlin)

Pied-billed Grebes
American Black Duck
Red-tailed Hawk

Gadwall

Hooded Merganser

American Wigeon

Ring-necked Ducks

Bufflehead

We are offering another birding tour on Saturday, 4/3: https://act.audubon.org/a/montezuma-bird-watching-tour-4321 (<-- to register)

Saturday, April 3
1:00 PM -3:30 PM

Spring is here and the birds are returning! Come along as we explore some popular birding hot spots and look and listen for signs of spring. Participants will drive their own vehicle and receive a conference call phone number to hear the Audubon educator narrate the tour and ask questions between stops. Guests are welcome to get out of their vehicles at each stop so facial coverings will be required, and we will follow physical distancing guidelines. Bring your binoculars and camera to capture images of the beautiful habitats and wildlife. This tour is funded in part through the generous support of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor.

Have a great weekend!
Alyssa

--
Alyssa Johnson