Date: 4/2/21 4:54 am
From: Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
Subject: [wisb] Early Migrants
I expect that with the weekend's warm temperatures and southerly winds that
more early migrants will be arriving. So far I have only seen one fox
sparrow and the first sapsucker around my home and the phoebe's haven't
arrived here yet.
I had not seen a sapsucker until Wednesday when I first heard its rhythmic
tapping like Morse Code. Later I heard it call a few times and yesterday
it was very vocal. It repeatedly gave its shrill "reet, reet" call that
always reminds me of the eerie music in Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

Sapsuckers first attempted to nest around my home in 2009 and raised their
first family the following year. They are now a regular nesting species
here, although still quite rare in the rest of Fond du Lac County.

Bill Volkert
FdL Co
--
Bill Volkert