Date: 4/1/21 4:15 pm
From: Judy Dearborn <dearbornjudy...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Birding in southern Coos county April 1....No joke!
The calendar says April 1. All of our snow had almost disappeared, but
then last nights rain turned to snow about 7 AM today, and it has been
snowing ever since (and pretty heavy as I write this at 6:50 pm) at our
location on Old Cherry Mountain Rd in Carroll at an elevation of 1700'.
Birds were everywhere, so feeders did not get taken down today. All the
usual customers were present, Black-capped Chickadees, Red and white
Breasted Nuthatches, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Brown Creeper , and still
about 30 Common Redpolls. Today however they were joined by 8 Dark-eyed
Juncos and a Song Sparrow. Also today the Barred Owl who has been our
regular visitor since Feb appeared, watching for what ever 4-legged
critters appear under the feeders. The feeder birds ignored it. Probably
the most interesting bird sighting today was just down the road, where
there are farm fields, 4 American Kestrels were observed at once on the
wires, in close proximity to each other, scanning the fields. I do have
pictures of the Barred Owl which I will get into e-bird later.
We have 3" of snow and counting, so who knows what the morning will bring.
April 1st birding at its best!
Judy Dearborn
Carroll, NH