Date: 4/1/21 3:03 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Hamburg Hawk Watch (01 Apr 2021) 84 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:45:00
Observation end time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 4.25 hours

Official Counter: Sue Barth

Observers:

Visitors:
Bruce Hoover

Weather:
A chilly day made even colder by the northerly winds. The one o'clock hour
(12:00 bird-time) brought some heavy snow that ended my time at the top of
the next hour since the next two hours were predicted to hold more of the
same.

Raptor Observations:
Surprisingly, 82 Turkey Vultures flew through with what appeared to be 1
migrating Red-tail. The two locals were in attendance. The immature made
a valiant effort to snag a starling off the lawn only 30 feet away from me
but missed, I'm sorry to say. A female kestrel was the only other raptor
to report.

Non-raptor Observations:
Flyovers included a Great Blue Heron, a few Canada Geese, and one
Double-crested Cormorant. Some Common Mergansers, a Ring-necked Duck, and
a pair of Bufflehead were good company back by the pond, which ended up
being the better location for the flight line.

My FOY Chipping Sparrow was foraging on the lawn near the pond and appears
to be right on time for the early arrivals of this species, according to
the <a href="http://dates.bosbirds.com" title="open the Migration Date
app">Migration Date App</a>.

As the last hour came to a close, a beautiful Red Fox showed up near the
pond but the snow was too heavy for photos, unfortunately.

eBird checklist for this count">Complete eBird checklist -></a>

Predictions:
Temperatures and winds are predicted to be about the same tomorrow but
without any precipitation in the mix, it should be a little better of a day
- but still on the light side. Saturday looks much better with the winds
shifting from the south again bringing warmer temperatures.
Report submitted by Sue Barth (<suebarth...>)

More site information at hawkcount.org: https://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=364

Site Description:
This spring only "all volunteer" watch is conducted at Lakeside Cemetery in
Hamburg, NY. It is located on flat lake plain located along the shoreline
of the east end of Lake Erie, about 10 miles south of Buffalo, NY.
For additional information contact Jim Landau at <landaujr...>