Date: 4/1/21 6:57 am
From: Beverly Hallberg <bhallbergskloot...>
Subject: [obol] Hearing birds indoors with a baby monitor - success!
Hello birders,

Just plugged in a baby monitor last night at my Manzanita beach house which
is between Nehalem Bay and the beach backed up to the state park. It's a
great flyover location for migrating birds, especially shorebirds in
migration.

First bird this morning at 6:25 am while lying in bed was a Wandering
Tattler calling - several times quite clearly! I am stunned. Now the
White-crowned Sparrows, Robins, Varied Thrushes, and Towhees are joining in
before the other feeder birds arrive. Last night, I heard the Cackling
Geese in the bay which is about a 1/2 to 3/4 mile away!

Weirdly, as we were testing it last night my husband went out into the
backyard and sang a song. I couldn't hear him singing very well (he's a
tenor) - but I could hear his feet crunch on the gravel and clap his hands
- other sounds. So I wasn't expecting much from the monitor. Now I'm
hooked!

Also 3 early Marbled Godwits were on the beach yesterday. About 2 weeks
early for me here.

Happy migration, Beverly

Join us on Facebook!