Date: 4/1/21 12:04 am
From: eBird alert <alert.ebird...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] [eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert
*** Species Summary:

- American Bittern (1 report)
- Swainson's Hawk (2 reports)
- Ferruginous Hawk (1 report)

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (1)
- Reported Mar 31, 2021 18:21 by Noah Gaines
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.84975&<ll...>,-119.84975
- Comments: "Medium large heron. Brown all over. Vertical brown stripes on neck. Seen in flight as well."

Swainson's Hawk (Buteo swainsoni) (34)
- Reported Mar 31, 2021 17:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- Aliso Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7259998&<ll...>,-119.7259998
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Surfing the afternoon winds over low hills close to 166. In exactly the same location as in 2018. This evening the winds were from the east, so the birds were to the west and back-lit, making photography difficult. Several birds on ground, and the others swooping in and out of visibility, so 34 is a minimum count"

Swainson's Hawk (Buteo swainsoni) (1)
- Reported Mar 31, 2021 08:54 by Deann Purcell
- Toro Canyon Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.5545316&<ll...>,-119.5545316
- Comments: "Looked strikingly like a swainson’s hawk as it soared generally westward in a broad arc overhead for 2-3 minutes then went out of view to the W or NW. We were alerted of its presence by the agitated calls of a red-shouldered hawk perched in a nearby tree. However, a nearby red-tailed hawk seemed unperturbed. The hawk in question was large (roughly the size of a red-tailed hawk, or maybe larger) but immediately struck us both as something we were not used to seeing. Dark upper breast and back half of the wings (as seen from below) contrasted with the much lighter leading half of the wings. The tail appeared to have a white/light band at its tip, though it was hard to say. Darkish throat, and much of the outer tail was darkish. Possible small, yellowish bill, though I can’t be certain. No photos."

Ferruginous Hawk (Buteo regalis) (1)
- Reported Mar 31, 2021 17:00 by Anonymous eBirder
- Aliso Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&<q...>,-119.7259998&<ll...>,-119.7259998
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Photo"

View/Reply Online (#32207): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/32207