Date: 3/31/21 9:02 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Team "Subspecies" logs 120 species
Our lean-and-mean team of 5 dedicated birders (Barry, Ginger, Louise, Mike, and myself) divided up our huge county for a 4-hour distributed effort. We exceeded our goal of 100 species so we’re pretty happy. There’s still time to support us if you wish—we never turn down sponsors...  https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#subspecies
For my part, I covered the South County. I left the house at 6:00 AM to arrive on San Felipe Road off Hwy 152 and began birding at 7:00 AM. The CASSIN’S KINGBIRDS were cooperative. Also found here were LAWRENCE’S GOLDFINCHES.
Next was a windy drive up Cañada Road to find BULLOCKS ORIOLES along Jamieson Road. I had hoped to find Lark Sparrows here, but instead found a Bobcat. I was smitten and momentarily distracted from my goal.
Parking at Henry Coe State Park (Hunting Hollow entrance) I walked along Gilroy Hot Springs Road and found my target WOOD DUCK as well as COMMON MERGANSER.
A quick trip to Coyote Lake Park (dam area) produced BALD EAGLE, CANYON WREN, RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW and WHITE-THROATED SWIFT as well as courting Aechmophorus Grebes and a SPOTTED SANDPIPER.
I made a final stop at Coyote Lake Park (Mendoza Ranch entrance) where I got better looks at WESTERN KINGBIRD, and had my previously-missed LARK SPARROW and a nice surprise CHIPPING SPARROW.
I finished my birding at 11:00 AM with 84 species but was unable to count several extra birds in my own neighborhood like Townsend’s Warbler and Red-breasted Nuthatch…. So it goes.
We’ll have a full story of our 120 species adventure on the website soon.
Next week: the BIRDCASSOS set out on a totally fun 4-hour Sketch-a-thon effort. Sign-ups and sponsorships accepted here:https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#birdcassos
Matthew

Matthew DodderExecutive DirectorSanta Clara Valley Audubon Society22221 McClellan Rd.Cupertino, CA <95014408-252-3748director...>

View/Reply Online (#24064): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24064
-=-=-

-=-=-
Group Owner: southbaybirds+<owner...>