Date: 3/31/21 5:49 pm
From: 'Duane Cross' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Blue jay call question
My wife and I take a 6 mile walk everyday out into Lyman and back. Yesterday on our return trip we heard a Red-tail hawk doing the scream call that they often make when startled into flight. It was close by and coming from a nearby tree. After a bit of searching the tree I noticed that the call was being made by a Blue jay. A short while later he flew off still vocalizing the hawk call. I know that Blue jays have a large call vocabulary but was unaware that they had the ability to mimic other bird's calls. Has anyone else experienced this before. It's a first for me despite having many Blue jays coming to my feeders.                                                                                                                                                   Duane Cross .