Date: 3/31/21 3:10 pm
From: Ginger Langdon-Lassagne via groups.io <binzer...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Varied Thrush at Cooley Picnic Area, Stevens Canyon
Hey birders!

Barry and I were participating in the SCVAS Birdathon this morning, on Matthew Dodder’s “Subspecies” team. (It’s not too late to make a donation! <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#subspecies> )

We covered a good stretch of the Cupertino reach of Stevens Creek, from McClellan Ranch through the reservoir and to the upper reaches of Stevens Creek County Park. The biggest surprise for us was the female VARIED THRUSH which was bathing in the creek at Cooley Picnic area. Also very exciting were the numerous, vocalizing WILSON’S and ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS where the Creek Trail crosses Stevens Canyon Road at the bridge. We had a single TOWNSEND’S WARBLER calling at the top of a bay tree, and numerous singing WARBLING VIREOS as well. PURPLE FINCHES were helpfully calling in adjacent trees, providing a marvelous compare-and-contrast.

The percolation ponds at Bubb Road still held a pair of RING-NECKED DUCKS and a single female/immature type COMMON MERGANSER. On the path between McClellan ranch and Blackberry Farm we heard our FOS PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER.

All in all, a great day out! Hope you all get a chance to get out there soon!

Ginger Langdon-Lassagne
<binzer...>

View/Reply Online (#24058): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24058
-=-=-