Date: 3/31/21 12:23 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fwd: White Robin [White Robin at Same Beaver Cr. Location in Late 1970s. Lincoln Co.]
Harold Axtell, who makes a cameo appearance in Kaufman's "Kingbird Highway", once gave me a ride from Spring Valley ,NY to Marathon , FL. In the course of our five days on the road l learned a lot about America, from the Roaring Twenties up to the Ford administration.  For about 40 years Harold was biology curator for the Buffalo Museum living with his wife across Niagra Falls on the Ontario side. For eight years in a row a Robin with white feathers in her left wing nested in their yard. She was a very successful parent, raising at least one brood a year. Molly, as they named her, was hit by a car the eighth season. Perhaps leucistic parents can pass it on.      I have seen partially leucistic Robin's repeatedly in my 52 years of birding, but with over 300 million Robins alive at any given time, that's to be expected. Only Juncos are more numerous, and l've seen several of them with inappropriately white feathers as well.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Range Bayer <range.bayer...> Date: 3/31/21 10:42 AM (GMT-08:00) To: Elizabeth Holencik <eholencik...>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol...> Cc: "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing (LCBNO)" <lcbno...> Subject: [obol] Fwd: White Robin [White Robin at Same Beaver Cr. Location in Late 1970s. Lincoln Co.] Hi,After Kate Scannell read Elizabeth's email below, Kate responded: "A fun aside.....Some time in the late seventies I became friends with Laimons Osis, who is my neighbor.  On a walk by myself I had seen an "albino" robin in the exact same place that was reported in [Elizabeth's] email this morning.   Not knowing what it was I went to Laimons, who had seen it also, and we have been friends ever since.  ......Bird territories........."Leucistic birds are curious and interesting to see!  Could leucistic robins have been nesting in the Beaver Creek area for so long?   See picture of leucistic American Robin as part of "Podcast [and transcript]; Why Is This Bird Half-White?   Unusual genetic mutations can eliminate color in a bird's feathers—in patches, or even across its entire body."   By BirdNote, May 14, 2018  at https://www.audubon.org/news/why-bird-half-whiteRange Bayer, Newport, Oregon.   ---------- Forwarded message ---------From: Elizabeth Holencik <eholencik...>Date: Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 8:22 PMSubject: [obol] White RobinTo: Obol <obol...>Here are some not great photos of the Leucistic Robin on N Beaver Creek road, Seal Rock.  Found by Evan Hayduk about a week ago.  Re-found by Check Philo a few days ago.  I looked for it three times and it finally appeared today.  It’s next to Bunnel creek which looks more like a very full ditch.  It’s about 2 to 2.5 miles down N. Beaver creek rd.  Interesting find!
Sent from my iPad

Join us on Facebook!