Date: 3/30/21 9:02 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Newport Perergine
Today, I went to Yaquina Head to check out the peregrine falcons that nest there. I was hoping to photograph some action between the male and female. I was there nearly 3 hours and the female was present the whole time and the male only made one appearance and brought no prey to her. I left and went to Yaquina Bay to look for banded brant but totally struck out there after 1:45 hrs. Before heading home I made one last pass by the south jetty. I was driving out along the jetty when I saw a bird flying below me between the road and the jetty. It was a male peregrine falcon that was struggling to stay airborne with prey that it had in tow! It only flew a short distance before it landed and began to feed on a female bufflehead! I did a uie then pulled over and used my car as a blind and photographed the bird for the next 37 minutes and 40 seconds shooting 815 images. I was parked in the flow of traffic in the wrong direction and no one honked at me and as far as I know I was not flipped off, but I really wasn’t looking at them. Amazingly, no walkers came by to disturb the bird. The falcon removed the head, eviscerated the bufflehead and ate a good portion of the breast muscle. The bird then flew off with the carcass to the bridge where I lost sight of it. The really cool part was this bird was the male from the pair at Yaquina Head! Identified by the alula on the right wing that is malformed and can be seen sticking out in the photos. I was approximately 35’ from the bird with a ringside seat. Wow!

Roy Lowe

Waldport, OR

Join us on Facebook!