Date: 3/30/21 7:59 pm
From: Chris Barrigar <1chrisbarrigar...>
Subject: Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warblers, Cole/Miller Co's, 3/30

With the BIG south wind yesterday, it seems a good number of new migrants have filtered into the area of central MO.

At Saline Valley Conservation Area today, a short time for lunch at the ford that crosses Saline Creek were two Yellow-throated Warblers and one Louisiana Waterthrush and about 1.5 miles back toward Eldon was yet another Yellow-throated Warbler and Louisiana Waterthrush.

Back at home this evening as I stepped outside, there were varying chip notes from the tree tops. I spotted at minimum 5 Yellow-rumped Warblers, a Yellow-throated Warbler and a Northern Parula loosely flocked, moving through northward.

As night continued to fall, I spotted an adult, no-nonsense Cooper's Hawk gliding low over the trees and the neighbor's field into the WNW wind. It exhibited such grace and strength even into a headwind . . . without beating a wing.

Use this trickle of the vanguard to sharpen your ID skills, to prepare you for the opening the floodgates of migration!

Bird on!

Chris Barrigar

Cole Co.
Russellville, MO
<1chrisbarrigar...><mailto:<1chrisbarrigar...>

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cbarrigar

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." JOHN MUIR