Date: 3/30/21 7:40 pm
From: Roy Adolphson <roy...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Common Loons at Maffitt Reservoir
This evening I checked Maffitt Reservoir for previously reported loons.
When I arrived just before 6 p.m., I could see one several hundred yards out
from the dam. When I came back to the dam pull-out at 6:15, there were two
Common Loons in breeding plumage at closer range, sometimes as close as 20
yards from the dam. One loon had caught what appeared to be a crayfish.
There was no other waterfowl activity besides a couple of CANGs.

Roy Adolphson

Polk County (DSM)