Date: 3/30/21 7:06 pm
From: Ducky Darrick <dadams...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Eventful evening in Swanzey
I have the day off today so I did a little bit of bird watching in Swanzey.
First I stopped by Wilson Pondnd at around 4:00 p.m. where I saw a few
candidate geese and a flock of probably about a dozen ring-necked ducks who
were also joined by a pair of bufflehead and a female scaup. Not sure
whether greater or lesser.

Then I picked up a friend of mine from Richmond and we went out to airport
road this was about 5:30 p.m. that's where most of the fun happened. Before
we even got to the parking lot of the terminal I saw something out of the
corner of my eye and when I pulled over and got the binoculars on it it was
a peregrine falcon. Once we got past the parking lot and into the marshy
areas we saw several tree swallows over that first pool of water and quite
a few Ravens were hanging around down in that area as well. Then I'm at the
last pool of water before you have to turn around we saw a small flock of
ringnecks with three female hooded mergansers and I would say the main
attraction of the evening which was a pied billed grebe. just before the
entrance to the sewage treatment plant there was a broad-winged hawk in a
tree with two crows above it and they seem to be coexisting peacefully
believe it or not. on our way back we took a little walk down the path
where the short-eared owls had been seen and we did not see any of those
but we were fortunate enough to see a Merlin who sat right out in an open
tree branch and allowed us to get a really good look at him.

One more macabre site that we saw out in that area was evidence that two
beavers had been poached with their skulls tails and paws strewn about the
area