Date: 3/30/21 2:56 pm
From: Media.com <edgew...>
Subject: Whetstone Creek CA Vesper and Chipping Sparrows/ Harrier display

Kathleen Anderson and I saw one Vesper and three Chipping Sparrows at Whetstone Creek CA, Callaway Co., this afternoon. The Vesper was along the extension of the entrance road, north of the turn toward the barns and maintenance area. The Chippers were by Turtle Lake.

We also watched an unusual display by a female Northern Harrier. She arced high and dove steeply multiple times. We got closer in an effort to see what was below her. She continued to arc and dive, and then we saw a male "gray ghost" Northern Harrier come off the ground or low in tree, and the two flew in tandem for a couple hundred yards, the male in front. She then peeled off and the male left the immediate vicinity. Does anyone know if this was aggressive or courtship display?

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
<edgew...>