Date: 3/30/21 1:55 pm
From: Sarah Swanson <sarahlovesbirds...>
Subject: [obol] Updated OBOL Guidelines
Greetings fellow birders!

Last month, the Oregon Birding Association board shared a statement to
OBOL, which sparked much discussion. Some was productive and informative,
while some was hurtful. We apologize to anyone who was negatively impacted
by the harmful language used. This conversation underscored the importance
of, and added urgency to, an updated set of Community Guidelines for OBOL
that the Board had started working on in December. These are listed below
and will also be found on the OBA website.

We would like to extend our gratitude to the many constructive suggestions,
messages of support, and feedback offered up by this community! You helped
guide this process, and we are heartened by the desire of so many to be
involved. We also appreciate the dedicated work that Teresa Hertzel puts
into moderating OBOL. We are excited to learn that both the OBA and OBOL
have their highest membership ever, representing more and more people
becoming interested birds, and wanting to be a part of this community. With
that comes the important work of creating spaces that are welcoming and
inclusive to all, being mindful that in groups of this size we will not
agree on all issues (a challenge by no means unique to OBOL). The goal of
our guidelines is to create a framework that encourages positive
discussion, with no tolerance for bullying and abuse.

The OBA board of directors looks forward to continuing to engage with our
members and the wider OBOL and Oregon birding communities, and we welcome
your messages here: https://oregonbirding.org/contact-oba/

While we will post occasionally on OBOL, if you are interested in staying
up to date with opportunities and wider OBA business, we would invite you
to join the Oregon Birding Association. You can do so here:
https://oregonbirding.org/join/

Ospreys and Rufous Hummingbirds have started to trickle into our area - a
sure sign that spring migration and an exciting new part of the year is
ahead.

Happy Birding!

Oregon Birding Association Board of Directors

Updated OBOL Guidelines

03-29-21

Purpose

OBOL (Oregon Birders Online) is an online mailing list dedicated to birding
in Oregon. The goal of OBOL is to share knowledge and curiosity about birds
and birding experiences, and to build relationships and inclusivity across
the birding community.

Inclusion

OBOL desires to be welcoming and inclusive to all, especially BIPOC (Black,
Indigenous, People of Color) folks and women who have long been
marginalized in the historically white and male-dominated landscape of
birding. Bird lovers from across the spectrum of experience are welcome
here. Please do your part to be encouraging and helpful, and refrain from
dismissive or patronizing comments.

Scope of posts

Postings should be related to wild birds and birding experiences in the
field in Oregon. Birders are invited to share bird sightings and reports,
rare bird alerts, reports of interesting or unusual bird behavior, status
and distribution, identification questions and discussions, and information
about upcoming birding events in Oregon. Please sign your post and include
your location.

If a notable bird is on private property, do not post the location unless
you have explicit consent from the occupant, and are confident the occupant
is aware of the interest that the sighting may draw.

OBOL does not allow posts or URLs or taglines about commercial offerings.
An occasional post about resale of your personal birding equipment is
allowed.

Be sensitive to the reality that birding and bird conservation often
intersect with topics of considerable disagreement among our members, and
discussion of these topics can lead to extensive and sometimes vitriolic
debate. Please avoid posts about controversial issues including cats, guns,
electoral politics and religion. Posts related to wild bird conservation
issues in Oregon are allowed, but please consider that this forum is not
the best place for a protracted discussion.

Offensive or hate speech

OBOL does not tolerate any content that promotes discrimination, hatred, or
violence. Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, invasive
of another's privacy, racist or otherwise objectionable is prohibited. The
use of sexualized language or imagery, trolling, insulting/derogatory
comments, public or private harassment, including offensive or degrading
language is also prohibited. Violators will be banned from the forum.

How to contact moderators

Feel free to contact the moderator (<obol-moderators...>) if you
have any questions or need help. If you wish to unsubscribe or otherwise
manage your OBOL account, go here: https://www.freelists.org/list/obol. If
you wish to discuss moderation of the list with the OBA, please contact us
at https://oregonbirding.org/contact-oba/

Other online forums for birders

For real-time bird alerts, many birders are choosing the convenience
of messaging
app groups <https://oregonbirding.org/mobile-groups/>. For photo
sharing, Birding
Oregon <https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdingoregon> is a good resource,
and for identification questions, “What’s This Bird?
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/whatsthisbird> may be helpful.

Join us on Facebook!