Date: 3/30/21 11:18 am
From: Thomas Gilg <tom...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Nailing Scaup Identification
Thanks for the discussion!

Everything I’ve read says “purplish head sheen” is authoritative for Lesser, but I see split opinion on “greenish head sheen” being authoritative for Greater, with some saying greenish can occur on Lessers too. Thoughts?

I’m still trying to get the gestalt of head shape + lip stick + head sheen + flank cleanness solidified in my mind.

Attached are 1/17/2012 picture from inland Brownville where the right two individuals had good green sheen (see IMG_9916), but I opted not to call them Greaters.

--tg