Date: 3/30/21 3:34 am
From: Joel Geier <clearwater...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Question
Hi Scott and all,

American Pipits regularly perch on shrubs, small trees, fences, and utility wires at this time of year, as they're getting ready to migrate north.

They also frequently perch in similar situation when they first arrive in Oregon in fall. I associate this behavior with restlessness accompanying migration. I've only rarely seen pipits perching during the winter months (Nov-Feb).

Speaking of migrants, we had several flocks of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS around the neighborhood, and on Saturday (27 Mar) I heard an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER singing in our back yard north of Corvallis. Our hummingbird feeder is drawing up to 9 RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS at a time, with the resident Anna's having to time their visits to avoid the migrant hordes.

No Vesper Sparrows are in yet at local nesting sites, but we can expect them to show up in the next few days. The first arrivals in recent years have usually been older males who know exactly where to go to stake out prime territories, with younger birds and females following later in April.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Join us on Facebook!