Date: 3/30/21 12:04 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a juvenile ring necked duck or something else?
Yep on the Euasian Wigeon, I didn't see it until looking at the photos at
home on the computer. A nice surprise!.
Also not rare but a single male common Goldeneye. I guess this should not
count as a Waldo.
Likely guess, of course, on the Eagle, but not so this time. It was a
small outboard motorboat passing by the flock. I was surprised it flushed
them all,
as it didn't head into the middle of the large flock. Perhaps they were
wary of boats due to hunting?
As to Ed's comments on the long white wing stripe., I looked carefully
at all of the scaup that had visible wings and all seemed to have long
stripes so I
would _guess_ that this is a pure flock of Greater Scaup. This ties in
with Lars' comment about Greater being deepwater divers and
Lesser being shallower water ducks Lesser Scaup are often found in quite
shallow ponds at parks, etc, and become quite tame.
Large flocks of Greater Scaup are found on the Columbia in the Gorge and
eastward where the water is deep and wide. As in Yaquina Bay.
But, as to *nailing* scaup identification, see next post.................
Bob OBrien Carver OR

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> wrote:

> just above and behind the e. wigeon is a greater scaup with full wing
> extension showing a great deal of white in the flight feathers.
>
> reminded of the old saw "if your only tool is a hammer, then every problem
> looks ....
>
> ed
>
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 2:12 PM Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
>
>> Bob:
>>
>> Given the mixture of that flock I’d say that is a bald eagle disturbance
>> photo. Best Waldo I could find is the male Eurasian wigeon.
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> > On Mar 29, 2021, at 11:26 AM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:
>> >
>> > <ScaupQuiz.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!