Date: 3/29/21 5:56 pm
From: Chase Darr <darrcm...>
Subject: Re: No Sighting - Carolina Wren Status
Back when I was a grad student with all the time in the world, I tracked the Carolina Wren numbers in Missouri using eBird's data. I stopped doing it a few years ago because 1) I graduated and got a 'real' 'job' and 2) eBird changed how data is accessed. It's still doable, but it's different and I didn't have time for "different".

That said, I observed a significant drop in frequency and abundance of Carolina Wren across Missouri after the last big winter dip we had in 2013 or 2014 (where we had single digit highs and double digit negative lows for more than just 24 hours). I was anticipating to have a silent spring after this year, but, for the first time ever, I have a nesting pair of Carolina Wren in my nesting box on my front porch.

Granted, we are in a suburb, so the point is made that birds would have solid access to food throughout the winter, but this did not happen previously.

Cheers and good birding,
Chase
Columbia, Boone Co., MO