Date: 3/29/21 5:16 am
From: Pam Hunt <biodiva...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Sandhill Cranes in Concord
I guess persistence pays off.

I spent a fair bit of time this weekend making periodic forays to some of
Concord's good waterfowl areas, having not been around Sat morning when
there were Gadwall around. This morning I figured I'd try one.more.time in
the event the wind and rain had grounded anything new.

Still lots of Buffleheads and Ring-necked Ducks around, but the obvious
highlight was a pair of SANDHILL CRANESat Hoyt Road Marsh. They were the FAR
back (northwest) corner and probably only viewable from the viewing platform
accessed from the upper parking lot.

This is an interesting location because it's actually pretty typical
BREEDING habitat, whereas most sightings of migrant cranes tend to be in
cornfields. Time will tell of these birds stick around, but I'll be checking
with some frequency!

Pam Hunt

Penacook

"The most dangerous worldview is the worldview of those who have not viewed
the world."

- Alexander von Humboldt