Date: 3/28/21 5:05 pm
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a juvenile ring necked duck or something else?
My father and uncle hunted Scaup on Long Island Sound in the 50s. Conservation officers used calipers to measure the characteristic described by Ed as their exclusive means to distinguish Greater from Lesser. The water in the photo seems very shallow, which Lessers frequent and Greaters avoid.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> Date: 3/28/21 4:49 PM (GMT-08:00) To: Cc: obOL <obol...> Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a juvenile ring necked duck or something else? i would call this a lesser scaup based on the relatively small, narrow bill nail.  greater scaup have a much more prominent dark bill nail that has been described as the bird wearing lipstick.  bit of an exaggeration but still a reliable characteristic for differentiating greater v. lesser.  head shape and color can vary but the bill nail remains fixed.   here's a good look for comparison.ed mcvickerOn Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 2:00 PM Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:can't see head shape but this is female scaup...Greaters have round heads while the more-often shallow-watertolerant Lessers have angle at back of the headOn Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 1:17 AM joy shreyer <dmarc-noreply...> wrote:We saw this duck along with a male and female ring necked duck on Monday March 22 at Ridgefield NWR in WA. But not sure of its identity.Joy ShreyerSilverton-- Harry Fullerauthor of: San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/author of Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA: https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/author of Freeway Birding: freewaybirding.combirding website: http://www.towhee.netmy birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Join us on Facebook!