Date: 3/28/21 4:50 pm
From: ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Is this a juvenile ring necked duck or something else?
i would call this a lesser scaup based on the relatively small, narrow bill
nail. greater scaup have a much more prominent dark bill nail that has
been described as the bird wearing lipstick. bit of an exaggeration but
still a reliable characteristic for differentiating greater v. lesser.
head shape and color can vary but the bill nail remains fixed. here's
<https://www.birdzilla.com/bird-identification/id-skill-development/bird-families/waterfowl-identification/duck-identification/identification-of-diving-ducks/comparison-of-greater-and-lesser-scaup.html>
a good look for comparison.

ed mcvicker

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 2:00 PM Harry Fuller <atowhee...> wrote:

> can't see head shape but this is female scaup...Greaters have round heads
> while the more-often shallow-water
> tolerant Lessers have angle at back of the head
>
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 1:17 AM joy shreyer <dmarc-noreply...>
> wrote:
>
>> We saw this duck along with a male and female ring necked duck on Monday
>> March 22 at Ridgefield NWR in WA. But not sure of its identity.
>> Joy Shreyer
>> Silverton
>>

> --
> Harry Fuller
> author of: *San Francisco's Natural History: Sand Dunes to Streetcars:*
> https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/sfnh/
> author of *Great Gray Owls of CA-OR-WA*:
> https://ecowise.wordpress.com/2015/05/08/the-great-gray-owl-book/
> author of *Freeway Birding*: *freewaybirding.com
> <http://freewaybirding.com>*
> birding website: http://www.towhee.net
> my birding blog: atowhee.wordpress.com

Join us on Facebook!