Date: 3/28/21 3:09 pm
From: Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan...>
Subject: [obol] N Mockingbird
Yesterday I saw the postings by Nels Nelson and Don Berg on Friday night
about the Northern Mockingbird on Pleasant Valley Rd off Scholl's Ferry Rd
at Kenton, Washington county, but I opted for the coast yesterday instead.

Today I picked up lunch in Newberg and headed for the spot. I arrived just
past 15218 Pleasant Valley Rd about 11:30 and parked where I could watch the
area while I ate my French fries. I wasn't sure where to look. There was a
thick hedge of brambles all along the south side of the road and a couple
residences on the north side, plus open fields. I saw a bunch of Robins and
starlings.

Then at 11:42 I heard a few raspy burr notes, then a musical note or two,
then more, and more. It turned into a soto voce series, clearly
mockingbird-like. I looked around and after a bit discovered a brown bird
facing me in the bushes across the road, not 15 feet away. The concert grew
in volume and expanded to a full-on Mockingbird routine. It lasted 6 full
minutes. Then the bird flew off toward the yard with a whole array of thick
cedars.

That's how an experienced birder finds a mockingbird (NOT). I still had my
French fries to finish.

I went on to spend more time on Pleasant Valley Rd, but seeing Bob Lockett
and Ed McVicker's Saturday eBird report, I see how real birders do it.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul Sullivan

Join us on Facebook!