Date: 3/27/21 9:51 pm
From: Matthew Dodder <mdodder...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Hwy 101, just south of Cochrane 03-27-21
As I made my way toward the Charter School in Morgan Hill to search for the the Swainson’s Hawk, a campaign that was ultimately unsuccessful…. I happened to see a dark-morph SWAINSON’S HAWK from my moving car just south of Cochrane. The flight silhouette alone was enough to distinguish it from other dark Raptors like Golden Eagle, Red-tailed Hawk or Turkey Vulture. I pulled over as soon as I could to seach the skies to my south, but was not able to relocate the bird. I haven’t notice whether the Morgan Hill bird was reported as dark or not, but the bird I saw definitely was not. I was able to notice several diagnostic features as it flew above and infront of my car and banked to my left, but of course there were not photos.

Reminder: the Birdathon starts this week! I'm organizing “The Subspecies”, a “distributed” team on Wednesday. I’m looking for sponsors, or team mates. Please consider sponsoring or joining to help fund the SCVAS Education Program.
https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#subspecies <https://scvas.org/spring-birdathon-2021-teams#subspecies>

Matthew

Matthew Dodder
Executive Director