Date: 3/27/21 8:33 pm
From: Carter Gasiorowski <carter.gasiorowski...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Cassin's Kingbird, Swainson's Hawk, and Black-throated Gray Warbler Today
Today, my dad and I started out our morning of birding at 8:00 am on San
Felipe Road. Not long after getting out of the car, a CASSIN'S KINGBIRD
started calling from the second big eucalyptus tree south of highway 152.
My dad spotted it preening high up in the tree, and the bird was nice
enough to show off its dark outer tail feathers while I was digiscoping
it. A second Cassin's Kingbird was calling from the third eucalyptus south
of 152, but we were not able to view the bird.

We then headed north through Morgan Hill and made an impromptu stop at the
Morgan Hill Community Park. We saw 21 species in 20 minutes, mostly the
expected birds but a pair of AMERICAN WIGEONS seemed very out of place on
the swimming pool-sized pond. As the park does not have an eBird hotspot,
it was fun to feel like we were discovering a new place.

Our next stop was at the Charter School of Morgan Hill, and before even
pulling into the parking lot we saw the returning SWAINSON'S HAWK found my
Mike Mammoser yesterday sitting on top of its usual flat-topped pine tree
between the school parking lot and Monterey Rd. The hawk was hard to see
unless we were either super far away from the tree, or there was a specific
spot on the sidewalk of the school where a hole in the branches allowed
nice views of the bird.

We ended our morning at Santa Teresa County Park, where we ran into Audry
and Connor, as well as another nice birder. We hung around the trees where
the Red Crossbills have been seen recently, but the crossbills were a
no-show. We then headed a short way down the Hidden Springs Trail, where
we bumped into Matthew. While we were all talking, my dad spotted an
unusual warbler in one of the oaks above the trail. We got onto it, and I
was surprised to see that it was a beautiful male BLACK-THROATED GRAY
WARBLER! We got closer, and the warbler began singing while hopping
through the trees about 10 feet above the trail. Despite it being so
close, it was hard to get a clear view of the bird, as it moved through the
leaves so fast, but it did perch in the open for a second, letting me get
my first photo of the species! Matthew then spotted another male
Black-throated Gray Warbler, and for a brief moment, both birds were
singing together in the same view before they flew to more distant trees.
I attached a map showing where we saw the warblers.

Full species lists and photos:

San Felipe Road (Cassin's Kingbird)- https://ebird.org/checklist/S84188374
Morgan Hill Community Park- https://ebird.org/checklist/S84194895
Charter School (Swainson's Hawk )- https://ebird.org/checklist/S84196561
Santa Teresa (Black-throated Gray Warbler)-
https://ebird.org/checklist/S84228105

Happy Birding!
Carter

View/Reply Online (#24023): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24023