Date: 3/27/21 6:23 pm
From: Chris Loscalzo <closcalz...>
Subject: [CT Birds] California and Bonaparte's Gulls
We went to the Oyster River mouth in West Haven near low tide (around 4:30 pm) this afternoon and counted 41 Bonaparte’s Gulls roosting on an open sand bar. We looked for, but did not see, Little or Black-headed Gull in the flock. From there, we went to Bradley Point and located the California Gull (thank you to the kind birder who gave us a general idea of its location as she was leaving) reported earlier in the afternoon by Julian H. As promised, we then went to Sandy Point Beach and Bird Sanctuary and collected garbage from the sand bar and marsh edge. In two hours, we filled four large garbage bags! Another group was there before us and collected a good bit of garbage as well, so the point is looking pretty good at the moment. It will be interesting to see how the nesting season goes there this year.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,
Woodbridge

Sent from Mail for Windows 10