Date: 3/27/21 4:01 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Coastal MIGRATION! (Swallows, Kestrels, Turkey Vultures, BARN SWALLOW, CHICKADEES!)
A wonderful day on the coast today with lots of birds migrating and lots
of FOY's (fist of year birds) for us.  We spent about 3.5 hours just
watching migration from Hampton Beach State Park and from
a location near the Pease Golf Course in Portsmouth.  We also walked
around the long loop at the Portsmouth Country Club.  Highlights:

Brant (FOY) - 6 together in ocean off Foss Beach in Rye.
Northern Shoveler - Two pairs at Portsmouth Country Club.
Gadwall - Pair at Portsmouth Country Club.
American Wigeon - Only about 8 at Portsmouth Country Club and no signs
of Eurasian.
American Black Duck - 507 counted on Great Bay from Portsmouth CC.
Common Merganser - 5 MIGRATING at Hampton Beach SP
Mourning Dove - 1 MIGRATING at Hampton Beach SP.
Piping Plover - Now 3 at Hampton Beach SP.
Double-crested Cormorant (FOY) - 1 in Hampton salt marsh.  3 more on Eel
Pond.
GREAT EGRET (FOY) - 6 total.  3 in Hampton Salt marsh.  2 offshore at
Hampton Beach SP.  1 more on Meadow Pond.
Turkey Vulture - 90 total for the day from various spots!  Most deemed
migrating.
Northern Harrier - 4 migrating.
Bald Eagle - 7 total.  Some migrating and some locals.
American Kestrel (FOY) - 10 migrating.  A few others not migrating.
Merlin - 2 migrating.
Peregrine Falcon - 1 immature bird in salt marsh in Hampton. Watched it
cough up a pellet.
American Crow - 23 MIGRATING from Hampton Beach SP
Fish Crow - 3 deemed to be MIGRATING from Hampton Beach SP.  Later a
group of 8 together, possibly migrating.  All calling.
COMMON RAVEN - 8 birds on coast!  Remarkably how Ravens and Fish Crows
are now regular on coast.  20 years ago, they were both rare on
immediate coastline.
BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEE - Clearly birds were migrating today.  At a
"pinch point" we watched chickadees and titmice gather and cross over an
open area.  Over the course of an hour and a half we saw 38 migrating
birds!  Very cool.
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/320390251
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/320390271
TUFTED TITMOUSE - 4 MIGRATING with Chickadees.  The first time that I've
witnessed apparent migration for this species.
https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/320390271
Horned Lark - One flock of 11 migrating.
Tree Swallow (FOY) - 54 MIGRATING.  Several more back on territory at
boxes along Cross Beach Road in Seabrook.
BARN SWALLOW (FOY) - Extremely well seen bird at Portsmouth Country
Club.  Appears to be a RECORD early arrival date.  It beats my previous
early date by about 10 days!!!  Apparently beats the previous early
arrival date by one day for the State according to Keith & Fox.
Snow Bunting - 3 latish birds at Hampton Beach SP.
Eastern Meadowlark (FOY) - Two together at Portsmouth CC.  Beautiful
views as they foraged on fairway.  About right on time for arrival.
Red-winged Blackbird - 6 MIGRATING
Brown-headed Cowbird - 118 MIGRATING
Common Grackle - 53 MIGRATING

Steve & Jane Mirick