Date: 3/26/21 9:39 pm
From: Kirsten Holmquist <kirsten.holmquist...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Merlin at Suunyvale Bay Trail
I took a walk on the Sunnyvale Bay Trail this morning. Right at the start
as I was heading onto the former dump site, I was treated to a GREAT BLUE
HERON making a strike and coming up with what looked like a Gopher. Coming
down off the dump site to the wooden bridge to the Bay Trail, several
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES were hanging out. (Note, I had a high count of 70 for
this species at one of the nearby towers back in November.) MARSH WRENS
were up and boisterously singing. I'm sure it was a moving performance . if
you are another Marsh Wren. Several COMMON YELLOWTHROATS were singing along
the way as well.

Passing behind the ponds, a MERLIN flew in and perched on the top of one of
the towers. Given the warm brown color overall and level of streaking, I am
going to guess female Taiga. At least 7 REDHEADS remained hanging out in
the channel behind the Lockheed buildings. (Note, my high count back in
December was over 100 at the same location.) A pair of WHITE-TAILED KITES
were interacting immediately behind the buildings.

Regards,

Kirsten Holmquist

<kirsten.holmquist...>

View/Reply Online (#24012): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24012