Date: 3/26/21 12:49 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig2.0...>
Subject: [obol] 3/25/21 Baskett Slough Black-necked Stilts and Golden Eagle
On the earliest date I found on ebird for BLACK-NECKED STILT in BSNWR I saw
a pair of them while on the way to Dallas on business this morning between
10 and 11. They were way out on one of the further islands from the
parking area in "the Narrows". A few minutes later they moved to the
closest island just south of there and before I went to Dallas they could
not be seen anymore

After Dallas I came back an hour later, and I could not find the BN STILTS
again. Going back toward Salem on Coville Road, I stopped when I saw a 2nd
year GOLDEN EAGLE soaring overhead just where I saw a GYRFALCON eat a Goose
a day or two ago

Golden Eagle and Bald Eagle have very different profiles, see your Sibley
or whatever for that. With practice they can be separated in flight right
away by the longer tail, shorter head projection of the Golden Eagle among
other characteristics. I got good looks, and I think this bird has been
seen by others recently

Both were new year birds for me
Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!