Date: 3/26/21 10:44 am
From: Nancy Asquith <nancyasquith...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Lazuli Bunting at Santa Teresa
Steve, yours is the only "recent" sighting in California.

I looked at ebird's Lazuli bunting sightings map, checking roughly the
western 2/3 of California for red markers (starting well into Oregon and
continuing well into Mexico) and found nothing. Then I checked the
unconfirmed sightings for California for the last 7 days--the rare bird
alert--and found only your Santa Teresa sighting.

Let's hope someone re-finds the bird and confirms that it isn't a
mockingbird with a long memory.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 8:44 AM Steve Patt <stevenpatt...> wrote:

> Just following up on this posting. I checked my records from past years
> (including last year) and this sighting was definitely early. Last year my
> first sighting, at virtually the identical spot in Santa Teresa CP, was on
> April 20, and April 20 of 2018 was my first sighting by the water tank at
> Rancho San Antonio, one of the most reliable spots in the county for the
> species. However, I am 100% confident of the ID based on the song (not on
> the sighting itself, which was too far away and with the naked eye). So
> either LAZB have shown up earlier this year, or this one individual was
> just an outlier.
>
> Steve Patt

View/Reply Online (#24002): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/24002
-=-=-