Date: 3/25/21 9:31 pm
From: Chuq Von Rospach via groups.io <chuqui...>
Subject: Re: [southbaybirds] Rose-breasted grosbeak
According to eBird, the last report of that species was 19-June-2020 in the Loma Prieta Summit area at a feeder.

We seem to get a bird or two every year. I think I see 9 sightings in that span. They are more or less random across the year, but if they clump, it's a bit more likely to happen in May and June, with a couple in April. So this to me doesn't sound TOO out of line with this species here: extremely rare but we get one or two individuals, and spring migration seems the least strange time for them to appear.

---------------------------------------

Chuq Von Rospach http://www.chuq.me
Email: <chuqui...>
Twitter: @chuq
Silicon Valley, California
On Mar 25, 2021, 8:18 PM -0700, <craige66...> <craige66...>, wrote:
> All,
> A friend emailed me today asking if I knew what the attached bird is.  It has been in his backyard for about 3 weeks at his feeder in the Willow Glen area of San Jose.  I immediately thought rose-breasted grosbeak but I'm not aware of hearing of any in Santa Clara County.  I double checked Sibleys and it is unmistakable.  I also checked with my go to expert, Rick Herder, and he said he thought they have been seen in Monterey county but couldn't remember any in SCC in a while.
>
> Unfortunately, my friend is not a birder and couldn't quite understand my excitement.  He is not willing to share his address so the photo will have to suffice as proof.  I hope to go there Monday to get a better look but (uggghhh) I'm in Vancouver WA. now  I hope the bird hangs around for a few more days.
>
> Does anyone have a better idea of how rare this bird is and when the last one was seen in SCC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craige Edgerton
>

> wa

View/Reply Online (#23997): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23997