Date: 3/25/21 8:18 pm
From: <craige66...> <craige66...>
Subject: [southbaybirds] Rose-breasted grosbeak
All,
A friend emailed me today asking if I knew what the attached bird is.  It has been in his backyard for about 3 weeks at his feeder in the Willow Glen area of San Jose.  I immediately thought rose-breasted grosbeak but I'm not aware of hearing of any in Santa Clara County.  I double checked Sibleys and it is unmistakable.  I also checked with my go to expert, Rick Herder, and he said he thought they have been seen in Monterey county but couldn't remember any in SCC in a while.

Unfortunately, my friend is not a birder and couldn't quite understand my excitement.  He is not willing to share his address so the photo will have to suffice as proof.  I hope to go there Monday to get a better look but (uggghhh) I'm in Vancouver WA. now  I hope the bird hangs around for a few more days.

Does anyone have a better idea of how rare this bird is and when the last one was seen in SCC?

Thanks,

Craige Edgerton

wa

View/Reply Online (#23995): https://groups.io/g/southbaybirds/message/23995