Date: 3/25/21 3:36 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: fiction books with birders as protagonists?
There is a whole series of many books by Donna Andrews, starting with Murder with Peacocks. Meg Langslow is the central character who solves the many mysteries. Her father is the bird-watcher and all of the titles have bird themes. They are a humorous and quick read and she now has many titles.

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, retired, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>
(Please forgive typos-I beat leukemia but the chemo greatly degraded my eyesight.)

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 3:10 PM, ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> wrote:
>

> thanks for the topic, paul. great idea.
>
> _the bird artist_, a howard norman novel features a protagonist who is, well, an artist and birdwatcher. and also a killer.
>
> my favorite howard norman book is a memoir, _i hate to leave this beautiful place_. though not directly centered on birdwatching, norman is a birder and birds figure into a couple of remembrances including the title piece.
>
> ed mcvicker
>
>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 2:36 PM Bill Shanahan <iamshanahan...> wrote:
>> "This Is How You Lose the Time War" is a fun bit of recent sci-fi that won a bunch of awards. One of the authors is obviously a birdwatcher. Many specific North American references. Bonus points for identifying the birds on the cover (one is easy).
>>
>>> On Thu, Mar 25, 2021, 13:55 Robert Lockett <robert.s.lockett...> wrote:
>>> Patrick O'Brian's Master and Commander series of seafaring novels (British Navy, early 1800's) features ship's surgeon Stephen Maturin, who is an experienced naturalist.
>>>
>>> There was/is a set of crime/mystery novels centered around a birder, but I can't conjure the author's name.
>>>
>>> Bob Lockett

Join us on Facebook!